Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Please pray for our baby girl...

On Tuesday, I had an appointment with a Dr. in Dallas for a level 2 sonogram at the recommendation of my OBGYN.  At my previous appointment with her, she noticed an abnormal heartbeat while listening to the baby.  So, she thought, just to be on the safe side, I get a more in depth sonogram done.  She assured me that she didn't think it was anything serious but wanted to be cautious.  So, we went to our appointment, thinking that they are just going to confirm what the OBGYN heard, and that it wouldn't be a big deal.  Well, it turns out the heartbeat sounded normal, but when looking at the heart he noticed what he thought was a heart defect.  He couldn't give us a ton of information since that isn't his expertise, so he referred us to a pediatric cardiologist at Medical City and made us an appointment for today.
   
So today, I had a fetal echo done on the baby (a very fancy sonogram). The doctor found 3 areas of concern on the baby's heart. The first is a "moderate to large" hole on the inner wall that separates the left and right ventricles. (Called a ventricular septal defect or VSD). The other concerns are that the right ventricle looks to be “slightly smaller” than the left and a valve on the same side has a “moderate” leak. I won’t spell out all the potential ramifications, concerns, etc. but the bottom line (with all 3 concerns) is that they each have about a 50/50 chance of improving/worsening. The good news is that none of these issues are having an affect on the baby’s development in the womb. So praise God for that.

We go back to the same doctor to check the progress in one month. The hope is that all three areas have improved. If they are the same and/or worse, the baby will probably need serious care and or surgery after birth. We ask that you pray that the strength of her heart will improve, that hole will close up and the leak will stop.

Thanks for your prayers and I will keep you updated!

13 comments:

Wendi said...

So sorry, Allison. We will definitely keep you in our prayers. I understand the fear and worry, and although my sitation was different, it's the same emotions. Keep us updated!

Ashley said...

Oh, Allison I am so sorry! I will be praying that all of the areas of concern are healed & that when you go back her sweet little heart is PERFECT.

Bonniebeewester said...

Allison....I'm praying praying praying. If you need me for anything, you know where to find me. Keep me updated. I'm on my knees for your little girl tonight :) love you!

Lauri Anne said...

You and your sweet family are in my prayers! Keep us updatedd.

MGHarrington said...

Our son had a similar situation! I pray the outcome is perfect as ours. He had open heart surgery at Medical City Dallas at 9 days old. He had many defects and went in congested heart failure. This was 19 years ago this past July. We had the best Pedi Cardio Doc ever, Dr. Fryer. I share this small story because it was prayer, hope, faith, and the support from God that got us through those days and months and now years. Best wishes, hope, faith and prayers!

Gina said...

Oh, Allison, I am so sorry to hear this. We have a heart baby. He had to stay in the NICU and have surgery soon after birth. He also had 3 holes in his heart and some other problems. If you ever want to talk, I will be happy to. I am praying for you all right now. Hopefully, all of this will fix itself before she gets here. By the way, our heart baby is almost two and doing well!! Contact me on facebook if you want my number to chat.

Jessica said...

Oh Allison. I'm so sorry to hear this news. I will most certainly keep your precious little girl in my prayers & will have my Bible study group be in prayer too. Please keep us posted.

Leah said...

You and your sweet family are in our prayers! I can't imagine how scary this is for you, but I know that in times like this it is so important to lean on your friends and family to help you through it. Let us know if you need anything.

The McIntires said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby girl's heart. Our daughter is a heart baby with a very large VSD and will be having surgery at Medical City-Dallas in December to patch it (she is 2yrs. old). Our family will be praying for you! (I am a friend of Holly M.)

Jane H said...

Allison and Aaron...we were so sorry to hear your baby girl is having some heart issues. Please know all of you are in our prayers during this stressful time of waiting. It's amazing what medical science can enable doctors to do in these situations, but, more amazing to me is what God can do. We pray and trust He will heal her little heart long before she arrives to take her place in your family. Our love and prayers are with you...Jane & Bill Hanna

Michelle said...

Praying for your sweet baby girl!

John, Emily, Noah, and Luke Wohlgemuth said...

I am sorry to hear that. I will be praying for you and the family! Be sure to update us!

Elliott and Cherry Wood said...

Allison-I'm just getting caught up on your blog. Congrats on your baby girl! We will be praying that everything will look completely normal when you go back to the doctor, and that the spots on her heart will heal completely before she comes in the world!